What is permitted Development?


What is permitted Development (PD)?

Under Permitted development you are able to undertake certain proposals without the need of planning permission. Saving time, money and headache. All you would need is outlined plans to be submitted to the council and within 42 days a full decision will be made.

We found that this link may be helpful to our customers to help determine what type of application they need:


And our guide: Neighbour consultation scheme beyond 2019

Does my proposal come within my permitted development right?

We have drawn up a list of the top 20 things you could be doing to improve your home, see below to find out if your proposal come under Permitted Development (PD).

1. Internal Remodelling

You may want to make the kitchen and dining room open-plan, or just re-jig the internal layout to get the most out of the rooms you currently have? As long as the work does not heavy affect the external appearance of the building you are able to make any internal changes without the need of a full planning application, obviously Building regulations should be adhered to. If you need to find out more why not give us a call, we would be happy to tell you more!

2. Windows & Doors

In most cases, the requirement to apply for full planning permission is not needed when changing windows and doors — but you may need permission if conditions were attached to the original permission.

  • Double glazing can be installed under PD, providing the building is not listed.
  • For new or bigger windows or doors, you will need to follow Building Regulations guidance.
  • Bear in mind that bay windows are classed as extensions.
  • Planning permission to insert a new window or door opening is not required as long as any upper floor windows on the side elevation are glazed with obscured glass (level 4 or 5 obscurity).
  • They must also be fixed into a non-opening frame (unless the opener is more than 1.7m above the floor of the room in which the window is installed).

3. Using Attached Buildings, e.g. Garages

Altering internal space within an existing part of the building, such as incorporating an integral garage, can been done under PD providing that the overall footprint of the building is not changed.


4. Single Storey Extensions & Conservatories

You can build various single storey extensions including conservatories without planning permission, providing the extension accords with the following:

  • The extension does not sit forward of the principal elevation.
  • Materials should be similar.
  • Where it is within 2m of any boundary, the eaves cannot be higher than 3m, and no more than 4m in height otherwise.
  • Rear extensions — no more than 4m in depth (detached house) or 3m in depth (semi-detached or terrace).
  • Side extensions — the width of the extension must not be greater than half the width of the original dwelling. Side extensions are not permitted on Article 1(5) Land (e.g. AONB, Conservation Areas).


5. Rooflights

Alterations can be made to the roof of a dwelling under PD. However rooflights are not permitted under PD where they would extend forward of the roof plane on the elevation fronting a highway. But they are permitted providing they do not project more than 15cm from the roof slope. Rooflights are not permitted on a dwelling which is located in an Article 4 Direction Area. Two common examples are a Conservation Area or an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty.

Rooflights are normally allowed to be installed under PD, however Rooflights are not permitted on a dwelling which is located in an Article 4 Direction Area. Two common examples are a Conservation Area or an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty.

6. Loft Conversions

Loft conversions provide a great opportunity to create additional space and may not require planning permission. Permitted Development allows for the construction of dormer windows, which would provide additional headroom within a converted attic. However, they must not sit higher than the highest part of your existing roof, or extend forward of the roof plane on the principal elevation.

There are also limitations on the cubic content allowed under PD but generally up to 40m³ is fine.

Loft conversions are allowed under PD, including the construction of dormer windows, however windows should not project from the existing external face or project forward from the existing roof plain. There is also limitation on the cubic content allowed under PD which is generally up to 40m3.

7. Two Storey Extensions

A two storey extension can only be built under PD if it is at the rear of the dwelling (this includes the addition of a second storey onto an existing single storey part of the house). In addition, your two storey extension must not exceed 3m in depth or be within 7m of the rear boundary. Specific restrictions also apply to the glazed nature of windows in such extensions.

8. Work at Home

If you are weighing up the options of working at home, but you don’t have the space to spare, an outbuilding may be the solution for you. This would give you the extra space you need and may also offer you a peaceful environment to concentrate in away from household distractions. However, if this is something you are considering for employees as well as yourself, there are certain regulations you would need to follow.




9. Sheds & Outbuildings


Where you have a larger plot, there may be opportunities to build multiple outbuildings under PD, providing the total area covered by such buildings/enclosures does not exceed 50% of the total area of the curtilage. This 50% should take into account any extensions, but not the area covered by the main house.

Outbuildings cannot sit forward of the principal elevation, and there are height restrictions depending on the type of roof (4m for dual pitch roofs, 3m for other roofs, and 2.5m when the building is within 2m of the boundary). Outbuildings may only be single storey, with the maximum eaves height remaining at 2.5m.

A key factor to bear in mind when considering what you want to achieve from an outbuilding is that the use should be ‘incidental’ to that of the dwelling, e.g. gym, garage, store. Outbuildings under PD cannot be used for residential accommodation, e.g. bedrooms.

10. Converting Two Homes Into One

When you need more space and you are weighing up the options of whether to significantly extend your home or move house, it may also be worth considering the benefits of converting two houses such as a pair of semis into one, or two flats into one property. This can usually be done under PD, and would save you moving out of an area you love. However, if you were considering the option of dividing a property into two dwellings, unfortunately the same rules do not apply and you would need to apply for planning permission.

11. Porches

Whilst many of the schemes described so far have not allowed for the development of any extensions forward of the principal elevation, you can build a porch on the front of your property without obtaining planning permission, as long as you follow certain rules:

  • No part of the porch can be taller than 3m
  • It cannot be within 2m of any boundary adjacent to a highway
  • The ground area (measured externally) does not exceed 3m²


12. Gates, Walls & Fences

It’s worth knowing that Permitted Development facilitates the erection, construction, maintenance, improvement or alteration to a gate, fence, wall or other means of enclosure, providing such work accords with the following limitations:

  • The height would not exceed 1m when adjacent to a highway
  • The height would not exceed 2m for any other gate, fence etc
  • Such development is not permitted under PD around a listed building




13. Decking

Whilst a raised platform (a platform with a height greater than 300mm) would require planning permission, garden decking and other such similar structures which are of a height below this limit can be built without planning permission, providing they accord with certain criteria (available at planningportal).


14. Swimming Pools

When looking to enhance the enjoyment of your garden, what better way than to build a swimming pool for the whole family to enjoy? Under Permitted Development rights you can build a pool within your garden, provided that the total area covered by the pool does not exceed 50% of the area of the garden curtilage.


15. Some New Accesses

Planning permission is not required when creating a new vehicular access onto an unclassified road. However, permission is needed for accesses onto classified roads. For a new access onto a classified road, you will need to ensure sufficient visibility when leaving the site, as well as enough turning space to allow you to enter and exit in a forward gear.

16. Cladding

Cladding (stone, pebble dash, render, timber, etc.) is not permitted under PD on any dwelling house located on Article 1(5) land (in special areas, e.g. an AONB). Yet, on other buildings not affected by an Article 1(5) land, cladding changes may fall under Permitted Development.

17. Solar Panels

Solar panels can also be developed under PD, providing they do not protrude more than 200mm beyond the plane of the wall or roof, and that the highest part of the panel is not higher than the highest part of the roof (excluding the chimney). Limitations apply in Conservation Areas and on listed buildings. Free-standing panels can also be developed, but are limited in size and proximity to the boundary.

18. Basements

If your property does not provide you with sufficient opportunities to develop extensions to your home above ground, have you ever considered building a basement? This would provide you with extra internal space, without reducing the size of your garden. In a recent appeal decision, it was considered that basements could be PD under Class A of the General Permitted Development Order (GPDO). However, PD does not allow for engineering works.


19. Parking

Class F of the GPDO refers to the provision of hard surfaces, such as parking areas. These are also permitted under PD providing that any hard surface situated between the principal elevation of a dwelling and the highway, or any surface which would exceed 5m², is made of porous materials, or provision is made to direct run-off water from the surface into a permeable/porous area within the property curtilage… not onto the highway!

20. Using Agricultural Land

You need planning permission to incorporate agricultural land into your garden. In some cases this is possible, but it depends on the site and the local area. However, you are perfectly entitled to use agricultural land for growing vegetables or planting trees. The key is that the land should not become domesticated and that a barrier, e.g. a fence, should remain between it and the garden.




Other Services


Contact us
Our Professional Advisers will help you choose the right service Please Contact us or call
0207 801 0566  

Call Us On 203 409 4215