Which Category Class does your proposal come under?


Developments are split into classes for the purposed of identifying which type of building permission is required.

Class A


A1 Shops

Shops, retail warehouses, hairdressers, undertakers, travel and ticket agencies, post offices, pet shops, sandwich bars, showrooms, domestic hire shops and funeral directors Change not permitted

A2 Financial and professional services

Banks, building societies, estate and employment agencies, professional and financial services and betting offices A1 (Ground Floor display window)

A3 Restaurants and cafés

For the sale of food and drink for consumption on the premises – restaurants, snack bars and cafes. A1 or A2

A4 Drinking establishments Public houses,

wine bars or other drinking establishments (but not a night clubs). A1, A2 or A3

A5 Hot food takeaways

For the sale of hot food for consumption off the premises A1, A2 or A3



Class B


B1 Business Offices, research and development, light industry appropriate in a residential area. B8 (However size must not exceed 235 sq.m/2350 sq ft.)

B2 General industrial General Industry: Use for the carrying out of an industrial process other than one falling in class B1. B1 or B8 (B8 limited to 235 sq. m/ 2350 sq ft.)

B3-B7 Special Industrial Groups

B8 Storage or distribution This class includes open air storage B1 (where no more than 235 sq. m/2350 sq ft)

Use classes Order 2006 Use/Description of Development Permitted Change


Class C


C1 Hotels Hotels, boarding and guest houses where no significant element of care is provided Change not permitted

C2 Residential institutions Residential care homes, hospitals, nursing homes, boarding schools, residential colleges and training centres. Change not permitted

C2A Secure Residential Institution Use for a provision of secure residential accommodation, including use as a prison, young offenders institution, detention centre, secure training centre, custody centre, short term holding centre, secure hospital, secure local authority accommodation or use as a military barracks. Change not permitted

C3 Dwelling houses Family houses, or houses occupied by up to six residents living together as a single household, including a household where care is provided for residents. Change not permitted

Use classes Order 2006 Use/Description of Development Permitted Change


Class D


D1 Non-residential institutions Clinics, health centres, crèches, day nurseries, day centres, schools, art galleries, museums, libraries, halls, places of worship, church halls, law court. Non residential education and training centres. Change not permitted

D2 Assembly and leisure Cinemas, music and concert halls, bingo and dance halls (but not night clubs), swimming baths, skating rinks, gymnasiums or sports arenas (except for motor sports, or where firearms are used). Change not permitted

Sui Generis (of its own kind) Theatres, houses in multiple paying occupations, hostels providing no significant element of care, scrap yards. Petrol filling stations and shops selling and/or displaying motor vehicles. Retail warehouse clubs, nightclubs, launderettes, dry cleaners, taxi businesses, amusement centres. Change not permitted

Casinos D2

The above is intended as a general guide only. Reference must be made in the final instance to the Town and Country Planning Act 1990, as amended the Use Classes (Amendment) Order 2005, and General Permitted Development (Amendment) Order 2005. Extension Architecture does not accept liability for this information or for any errors or omissions.

Read update: Permitted development rights 2019



Other Services


Contact us
Our Professional Advisers will help you choose the right service Please Contact us or call
0207 801 0566  

Call Us On 203 409 4215