Loft Conversion Costs Table
Loft conversions are one of the cheapest ways to expand the usable space of your home.
Most homes will already have a loft area, but one that is non-functional or only used for storage. In these cases, there’s not much point in making a home extension outwards as it’s much more cost effective to simply convert this into liveable space.
The table below shows estimated prices for loft conversion projects in London.
Cost of Loft Conversions in London
The cost of a loft conversion is usually around £1000/sqm.
Planning: from £950
Construction from £40K
Cost/m² about £1000m²
We conduct a full site survey with accurate measurements and photographs, enabling us to prepare scaled drawings for planning applications and documentation for your proposal.
We assess the history/context of the site and surroundings, research the local planning authority and establish previously proposed planning applications, either accepted or refused.
We offer a wide range of project development and management services during the construction phase, including project and development management.
Different Loft Conversion Type Costs
|Loft Conversion Type||Image||Cost|
|Storage Only||—||From £2000|
|Velux Conversions||Average Total Cost: £13,000 – £27,000
Per Square Metre: £1,000 – £1,300+VAT per m2
|Dormer Conversions||Average Total Cost (UK): £23,000 – £37,000
Average Total Cost (London): £28,000 – £52,000
Per Square Metre: £1,100 – £1,400+VAT per m2
|Hip to Gable Conversions||Average Total Cost: £28,000 – £37,000|
|Mansard Roof Conversions||From ££43,000|
What Factors Affect the Cost of Your Loft Conversion?
- What your loft is like now
- The intended use after completion
- Type of conversion
- The professionals you choose to hire
- The residential area where your home is located
- Storage: Your costs will be low if you are simply looking to gain storage space. For living spaces the costs will be significantly higher, especially if you are having an additional bathroom.
- Living: For living spaces the costs will be significantly higher, especially if you are having an additional bathroom.
- Shell: This is the basic structure and reinforcements in your new roof space.
- First fix: This is when you add wiring, pipes and plaster.
- Second fix: Including your power points, sanitary ware and doors.
- Third fix: Would be things such as protection devices, e.g. earthing conductors.
Standard Loft Conversion Construction Costs
Why do Loft Conversions Work Out Cheaper than Other Extensions?
Relaxed Planning Permissions
Building upwards is a popular trend in British home improvement projects across the country. Planning laws have been relaxed due to the shortage of housing stock for family-sized homes, this in turn has created more precedents for new applications and perpetuates the case for loft conversions.
Good Value / Investment ratio
Converting your loft adds about 15-20% to your property value, even though the build cost is less than this. This is an attractive investment for any future plans to move abroad or to a retirement home. Some people know they will never move, but most do not have such cast-iron plans set in stone. Even for couples who don’t move, lofts still make financial sense because any legacy to their children will be more valuable than in its current (un-extended) condition.
|First fix estimate||£20,000 – £30,000|
|Second fix estimate||£10,000 – £25,000|
|Third fix estimate||£5,000 – £9,000|
|Staircase to loft||£600 – £1,000|
|Spiral stairs||£800 – £1,800|
|Dormer window structure with glazing||£3,500 – £6,500|
[*All prices are UK averages for builders.]